Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Of Monkeys, Jellyfish and Cockroaches

Time flies when you're having fun. It also flies when you're really busy. When you're having fun and being really busy....well, you get the idea. With two-and-a-half weeks left here in Kenya, things are finally coming into focus for me personally. There are certain realities with which I have come to grips: development work is even less rosy and positive than I thought, it is a struggle to play internal politics, and I think for the first time in my life I am becoming homesick. Ah well, on the bright side I have some time left to enjoy myself and continue to contemplate my whole experience.

On my way to Kwacha Afrika last week, I got the rare chance to nab some pictures of monkeys clambering over the rooftop of a local cafe. They were a group of five, and were really shy. Thankfully, I had my camera on hand or else I might have missed it.



Over the past seven days, our group of six volunteers and the host of volunteers at Kwacha Afrika delivered five complete events. Two days were women's events. The first was a "Women at Work" speaker's panel featuring local female business leaders talking to a Kisauni high school. The other women's event was a screening of a documentary in honour of International Women's Day.

Three days of last week consisted of active citizenship training for 22 youth group leaders. This training is part of YCI's goal of complementing economic development with improvement in community governance capacities. In training local youth about governance and their roles in decision-making, YCI hopes to create concerned citizens who can push for accompanying democratic improvements. Unfortunately, the discussions with youth proved somewhat depressing. During a discussion about constitutional rights among the leaders, the group became split into two camps - those with positive attitudes towards their roles in creating change, and those who see corruption and graft in government as too debilitating to allow for the country's redemption. When the youth are more afraid of the police than thugs, how can progress be made? It puts your own efforts into perspective when you realize that certain trainings lack the gravity of real-life perspectives. Here is photo of me in action during a facilitation session:



We took some deserved R&R amidst the hectic week at Mombasa Beach. It was a quick getaway for us and some of the Kwacha youth to relax, play some beach soccer and swim. Having never been to a tropical beach prior to coming to Kenya, I had not experienced the simple pleasure of walking into warm water so carefree for your um - ahem - "parts". Male readers who have sauntered into a cold lake know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, tropical beaches are not all fun and games. I was the unlucky recipient of an unpleasant jellyfish sting (seen below). It actually got me twice, leaving a nice Zorro "Z" mark on my lower stomach.



In terms of other animals, I crushed a cockroach in my room which exploded onto my clothes. Consequently, I spent last night shaking cockroach parts off my t-shirts. Gross.

Okay, I'll try to fit in a few more posts before I make it back home. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody soon. Miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment